This is the second of a series of Miniature Sheets that illustrates steam locomotives in use in each of the home countries.
1st Class – BR D34 Nos. 62471 & 62496
Two former North British Railway 4-4-0, “Glens”, LNER and BR Class D34, 62471, Glen Falloch and 62496 Glen Loy at Ardlui on 09 May 1959, the West Highland Line from Glasgow to Fort William and Mallaig. They were built by the NBR at Cowlairs in 1920/21 to the design of W P Reid.
68p – BR D40 No. 62276
Former Great North of Scotland Railway, Number 48 and LNER// BR class D40, 4-4-0 62276 “Andrew Bain” in July 1950. The GNSR used 4-4-0s for most of its traffic. “Andrew Bain” was built in 1921 by The North British Locomotive Company to the design of T E Heywood.
£1 – Andrew Barclay No. 807
Andrew Barclay Sons and Company of Kilmarnock, manufactured industrial locomotives. They could be found at collieries, shipyards and industrial sites. Number 807, Bon Accord, was built in 1897 and belonged to the Aberdeen Gas Works and is seen working along Miller Street, Aberdeen in June 1962.
£1.10 – BR 4P No. 50767
Highland Railway, 4-6-0, LMS and BR, No 54767 Clan Mackinnon is seen at Kyle of Lochalsh on a fish train. These locomotives were among the last Highland Railway locomotives to remain in active service.
Date of issue: 8 March 2012